All about Renfrew-Collingwood
Renfrew-Collingwood is large piece of land with several hills on the east side of greater Vancouver. The area carries most of the traffic from the Trans-Canada Highway entering Vancouver during morning and evening rush hour. Much of the historical value and historical buildings in Renfrew-Collingwood has been replaced with much newer buildings. However, there have been efforts in the area to renovate historical values & buildings. Most noticeably, the Firehall 15 on Nootka Street and 22nd Ave and the Still Creek Ravine with forested area near the Renfrew Community Centre.
History of Renfrew-Collingwood
Renfrew-Collingwood was a large piece of land that was covered by thick forestry. In 1861, Colonel Richard Moody attempted to break through the thick forestry by building a military trail on an ancient Indian trail. In 1891, the interurban railway in the Collingwood area was completed and opened the area to new residential development. By 1913, a small town was rapidly growing in the Collingwood area on Joyce Street and by 1920 the Renfrew area had also seen rapid residential growth.
Over the years, the Renfrew and Collingwood neighborhoods were joined together with the rapid growths of residential, commercial and multi-level buildings in the two areas. With the introduction of the Expo Line Skytrain and the newer Millennium Line, residential and commercial interest in the area has resulted in more development.
Geography of Renfrew-Collingwood
Renfrew-Collingwood is bordered to the north by Broadway Street, to the south by East 41st Ave , to the west by Nanaimo Street and Boundary road to the east.